2-DAYS HUMANTAY & MACHU PICCHU
Our 2-days exclusive program is perfect for those who don’t want to miss two of the highlights in a short trip to Cusco: the Humantay Lake and Machu Picchu.
In the morning of the first day we’ll depart from Cusco to Soraypampa to start our short 1h30min hike until reach the Humantay Lake, in front of the Humantay Mountain. Enjoy the peace and the beauty of the nature around you before heading back to our van and have a lunch before our return journey.
A private car will be waiting for your in Poroy to drive you safely to the train station in Ollantaytambo where you’ll take the train to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu Town) where your hotel for this night is located.
On the second day it’s time to enjoy your breakfast before heading to the bus station with your guide and go up to Machu Picchu to start your guided tour that takes around 2h. After the tour, take the bus back to Aguas Calientes and do all the train journey back to the destination station and finally the shuttle back to your hotel in Cusco.
DAY 01 CUSCO- HUMANTAY LAKE – TRAIN TO AGUAS CALIENTES
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco between 4:00 and 4:30 am before going for this adventure. We will travel for approximately 2 hrs to the Mollepata village, located in the lush valley of the Apurimac River. At Mollepata, we will have breakfast and prepare ourselves for the upcoming hike. Our journey will continue towards Soraypampa. Here, we will begin our trek to the Humantay Lake, which is at an elevation of 4,200 masl. If the trek is too challenging, you can rent a horse to get to the top (you can decide this along the way). After about 1.5 hours hiking up, you will see the Humantay Lake, considered sacred in the Inca mythology and once you see it, it is easy to understand why. After visiting the glacier lake and some resting, you will hike back down to return to Mollepata for a delicious and filling lunch. After lunch, we will travel back to Poroy. In Poroy, your private transportation will be waiting for you to continue to Ollantaytambo where your train will depart at 7:00 pm or 9:00 pm to Aguas Calientes. After the 2-hour train journey, you will stay overnight in a hotel.
DAY 2 MACHU PICCHU – RETURN TO CUSCO
Today you will visit Machu Picchu! You will wake up early to have breakfast at the hotel and then head to the bus station to try catching one of the first buses, buses start operating at 5:30 am. The bus will take about 25 minutes to get up to Machu Picchu. You can also go walking if you rather, which will be an hour-long hike up. If you choose this option, you should leave your hotel by 4 am. Once you arrive at Machu Picchu, your guide will be waiting and will take you to the best spot to overlook the ruins and get a panoramic view of the landscape. You will then have a 2-hour guided tour around Machu Picchu, with plenty of free time afterwards to explore it on your own. If you have tickets to climb the beautiful Huayna Picchu mountain, your guide will direct you to where the hike begins.
Once you are done exploring all that Machu Picchu has to offer, you will take a bus down to Aguas Calientes where you can have lunch. According to your ticket you will take your train back to Ollantaytambo and from there the transportation back to Cusco.
IT IS INCLUDED:
- Pick-up from your Hotel in the historic center of Cusco city
- Bilingual tour guide in the Humantay Lake
- Breakfast and Lunch (Day 1)
- Hiking poles and blankets (Day 1)
- Private transportation from Poroy to Ollantaytambo train station
- Expedition train round-trip Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes
- Hotel accommodation at a 3-star hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Breakfast at the hotel (Day 2)
- Round-bus tickets Aguas Calientes-Machu Picchu
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu
- Guided tour in Machu Picchu
- Transportation back to Cusco
IT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Food and drinks, unless mentioned in the inclusions
- Recommended gratuities
- Travel insurance
WHAT TO BRING
- Original passport (mandatory to enter Machu Picchu)
- Personal luggage for Machu Picchu (5 kg max allowed in the train)
- Daypack for personal items
- Money in soles for entrance fees, water, snacks and other expenses during each tour
- Comfortable clothing and appropriate footwear (hiking boots recommended)
- Waterproof clothes and rain cover
- Insect repellent
- Water (1.5L per day)
- Scarf or hat in order to protect against the intense sunlight
- Warm jacket for the evening/wind
- Personal medications
Does it include accommodation in Aguas Calientes?
You can choose if you want to include or not the hotel in Aguas Calientes.
What to do with my luggage during the trip to Machu Picchu?
The maximum volume allowed on the trains is 5kg per person, so you should travel with as less as possible, as all the rest of your luggage should stay at your hotel in Cusco during the two day trip. If you check out when you travel to Machu Picchu, you can leave your luggage in the hotel’s storage room.
What time will I enter in Machu Picchu?
The entrance times for this tour is from 7am on, but it may vary according to ticket availability at the time of booking. Remember: the earlier you make your reservation, the more likely you are to get the best times.
Are horses available for the hike in Humantay?
Yes, you can rent horses for the ascent if you wish. The approximate cost is 90 soles and the horses do about 90% of the climb, the final meters need to be done on foot.
Can i hike the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain?
Yes but you’ll need to check the availability in advance with our team and pay the extra fee of U$75 per person for the mountain you choose to hike at the moment of your reservation.
Flexible cancellation/ change
- Cancel your tour at least 30 days in advance and it will be charged only 40% of the total amount to cover up administration expenses. Passed the 30 days it will be charged the full amount.
- The policy to reschedule or to make any amendment allows the update to be made no more than 15 days prior to the date of your tour and it is valid until December 31st
, 2022. (To reschedule Machu Picchu it will be charged USD 25 per person to cover up administration expenses.
- The itinerary may be subject to changes due to unforeseen circumstances, beyond the control of the operator, changes without prior notice.
- In order to protect your investment, we kindly recommend that you purchase travel insurance.
- If for any reason your tour gets cancelled during the pandemic we highly recommend you to consider postponing your tour to 2022 or 2023. It will only be charged the amount of USD 25 for changing the date on the Machu Picchu entrance ticket.