RAINBOW MOUNTAIN (VINICUNCA) FULL DAY HIKE
The Rainbow Mountain of Cusco, located over 5000 meters (16,732) above the sea level, became a must-see for all tourists traveling around and the second most visited place in Peru, only behind Machu Picchu.
The magic of this tour starts on the road. While traveling from Cusco to the entrance of the mountain, you’ll enjoy the beautiful landscapes from the south valley of Cusco, having the Ausangate Mountain – the highest in this area – as the highlight.
From the bus window you will also be able to appreciate the habits and customs of the locals, as well as see small farms of llamas and alpacas along the way until we reach our destination and have a stop for a breakfast.
Once we reach the entrance of Vinicunca, how the locals call the Rainbow Mountain, we’ll start our 2h hike until reach the sightseeing to take the classic picture with the colorful mountain on the background and enjoy the nature around. If you are lucky enough you can even see wild vicuñas around!
After this amazing experience we’ll hike back to the entrance point to have our delicious lunch before drive back to Cusco.
DAY 1: Rainbow Mountain Trek
Rainbow Mountain is the new must site to visit while you are in Cusco! This incredible hike is organized for travelers who are well acclimated to the altitude and can trek for 4 hours. Climbing up the mountain takes about 2 hours and is a fairly steep climb ending at an altitude of over 5000 meters.
Distance: 6 km approx. ( we are going by Cusipata which is a shorter route)
We will pick you up from your hotel between 4:15 and 5:00 am to start our 3 hour ride towards the foothills of the Mount Ausangate. Once we arrive at our destination, we will have a boxed-breakfast and after a brief chat with the group, we will begin our trek. It will take about 2 hours to reach the most beautiful point where we will have time to take photos of this enigmatic place! During our trek up and down the mountain, we will have the opportunity to see the varieties of South American camelids and the impressive Andean Mountains highlighted by the snowcapped Ausangate. We will have a brief meeting at the top to hear about the Rainbow Mountain and surrounding area and then you will have time to take in the beautiful landscape that makes up this sacred land in Cusco, Peru. We will then start our descent from the mountain, which should take around 2 hours. There will be options to take horses up or down from the mountain, if the climb becomes too challenging.
We will regroup at the bottom and then head to a small city to have a delicious Peruvian inspired buffet lunch! After this fantastic meal we will drive back to Cusco and have a much needed siesta!
It is included
IT IS INCLUDED:
- Tourist transportation from your hotel if located in the historic center of Cusco.
- Meals: breakfast and buffet lunch (vegan options)
- Tour Guide in English and Spanish
- First aid kit
- Entrance ticket to Rainbow Mountain
IT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Extra expenses
- Water during the hike
- Fee for the horse (if you decide not to hike up)
- Tips for the guide
What to Bring?
WHAT TO BRING
- Sun hat, sunscreen, sunglasses (we will be ending up at over 5000masl where the sun is very strong!)
- Raincoat / poncho
- Clothing for cold weather, as it is often cold and windy at the top
- Walking sticks
- Personal medication
How long is the hike?
The approximate total distance is 5 miles (round trip) and the climb takes about 2.5 hours at a normal pace.
Are horses available for the hike?
Yes, you can rent horses for the ascent if you wish. The approximate cost is 90 soles and the horses do about 90% of the climb, the final meters need to be done on foot.
Do I need to have hiking experience and good physical condition?
It is a short hike, even without experience it is possible to complete the ascent without much difficulty.
Flexible cancellation/ change
- Cancel your tour 48 hours in advance and be reimbursed for the full amount of the tour. If you cancel the tour after these 48 hours prior to your tour no refund will be processed.
- The policy to reschedule or to make any amendment allows the update to be made no more than 5 days prior to the date of your tour and it is valid until December 30th, 2022.
- The itinerary may be subject to changes due to unforeseen circumstances, beyond the control of the operator, changes without prior notice.